7 things you should know about Matthew Atkin…
1. He has started, owned and run 4 different businesses in the last 24 years, experiencing the full spectrum of triumphs, challenges and excitements that running business’s almost inevitably brings. This combination of hard earned experience at the coal face and the accumulated knowledge derived from ActionCOACH having coached 300,000 businesses round the world is a powerful mix, which generates fantastic results for clients.
2. After graduating, he was commissioned into The Black Watch, serving in Germany and Northern Ireland and, on leaving the Army, spent 5 months on a Harley motorcycle riding 17,000 miles around the USA.
3. He worked as a manager for 2 years on an intensive and diversified farm in Nottinghamshire, before starting his own farming business using borrowed money on rented land. 16 years later, having grown the business to £2 m turnover and won the national “Farmer of the year” award for his category he began his next business.
4. He teamed up with a landowner and supermarket marketer to project manage the construction, and then become MD, of a brand new 30,000 sq ft. garden centre, farm shop and restaurant on a 6 acre site, with the capacity for £7 m turnover, successfully selling the business once it had become well established.
5. He then did some small scale property development, with one development winning the East Riding “Contribution to the built heritage” award with the enlargement and total refurbishment of a listed cottage into a four bed house. At the same time he was also MD of a lease finance company providing funding for factory equipment.
6. Matthew is now a Licensed Action Business Coach within the global ActionCOACH network. This gives him access to a vast and proven library of tools and techniques for business growth and resolving business challenges including the world-renowned ActionCOACH business improvement program together with the combined experience of over 1200 Action coaches globally. His experience of primary industry, retail, service, finance and development have armed him with first-hand knowledge that puts the theory into context, making his coaching inspiring, real, relevant and practical. He is coach to the 2013 ActionCOACH “UK Business of the Year” winner.
7. Matthew is married to Cathy, a management accountant, and has two daughters of 25 and 23, one a surveyor and the other working in magazines, both in London. He still lives on the farm in East Yorkshire where he began business life and runs a small herd of breeding cattle, to keep his feet firmly on the ground.
“If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got”